Go to main navigation
512 East Boston Street, Covington, Louisiana 70433

Experienced Attorney Handling Child Support Modifications & Enforcement in Southern Louisiana

Reliable advice for sensitive family law issues

As time goes on, people’s financial situations change. A change in a work or living situation could make it difficult to meet a child support payment. At Conroy Law Firm, APLC, we help parents throughout southern Louisiana modify their child support agreements to benefit their financial situations and the needs of their children. We also help clients whose ex-spouse has been avoiding their child support obligations. The well-being of your children is our top priority. Our goal is to ensure that your children have the financial support they need.

Modifying child support orders

If you or your ex has had a change in circumstances and needs to adjust your child support arrangement, there are a few steps you must take. First, you should talk to the other parent to see if you can reach an agreement. If you both agree on the change, you can ask a judge to review your request. As long as the amount is still high enough to provide adequately for the child, the judge should approve. An experienced attorney can help facilitate this process to ensure that the outcome is as fair as possible.

If you cannot agree on a change, the matter will have to go to court. In this process, each party will argue their side and present what they feel is the appropriate amount of support. To get approval, you must show that your circumstances have changed significantly enough to warrant an adjustment. The court will either make the change permanent or temporary, depending on the situation.

Some factors that might lead to a modification of child support include:

  • Either parent loses a job, or changes to a job with a different income
  • Either parent remarries and their income increases
  • Cost of living increases
  • Either parent becomes disabled
  • The child’s needs change

It is important that you do not just verbally agree to make a modification, but that you get your support documents legally changed. This helps protect you in the future if your ex tries to avoid their responsibilities

Enforcing child support orders

In Louisiana, there is a state agency called Child Support Enforcement (CSE) that was established to enforce both state and federal child support laws. If child support is not paid as ordered, the CSE steps in to retrieve the owed money. Some of the methods they employ include:

  • Automatically redirecting a part of the paying parent’s wages to the CSE
  • Applying the paying parent’s tax refunds and lottery winnings to support payments
  • Suspending the paying parent’s licenses, including driver’s, hunting, fishing, professional and occupational
  • Suspending the paying parent’s motor vehicle registration
  • Prohibiting the paying parent from getting a passport
  • Bringing the paying parent into court for contempt proceedings

In child support cases where the paying parent lives in a different state from the child, the federal government may step in if:

  • The paying parent hasn’t paid child support for more than one year.
  • The amount owed is more than $5,000.
  • The paying parent travels to another state or country to avoid their support obligations.

These parents are considered “deadbeat parents” and can face serious fines and even prison time. If you are having trouble paying your child support, talk to our experienced attorney about getting the order modified to better suit your situation. And if your ex is refusing to pay according to the agreed upon child support order, we can help you take the proper steps toward enforcement.

Contact a knowledgeable child support attorney in Louisiana

If you need your child support order modified or enforced, Conroy Law Firm, APLC is prepared to help. We are proud to serve individuals and families throughout Covington, Mandeville, Metairie and the surrounding communities of Louisiana. Call us today at 985-606-3885 or contact us online to learn more.