Go to main navigation
512 East Boston Street, Covington, Louisiana 70433

Covington Visitation Lawyer Negotiates Fair Arrangements for Parents

Knowledgeable and compassionate counsel in support of your child’s best interests

To a parent, nothing is more important than their relationship with their child. Unfortunately, circumstances can make it difficult to maintain the frequent contact necessary to build a loving relationship. If you are divorced or separated from your child’s custodial parent, or were never married, enforcing your right to spend time with your children can be challenging. At Conroy Law Firm, APLC in Conroy, our family law attorney understands your situation. We represent noncustodial fathers and mothers, who are trying to establish appropriate visitation terms. Conversely, there are situations where unfettered visitation with an irresponsible or abusive parent could put a young person at risk. So, we also represent custodial parents who are looking out for their child’s welfare. When you choose our services, you get a responsive firm that works tirelessly to achieve the best results for you and your children.

How are visitation rights are determined?

Louisiana law outlines visitation rights for different categories of persons, including noncustodial parents, stepparents, grandparents and interested parties such as siblings and previous caregivers. In visitation matters as well as other child custody proceedings, judges are bound to make a decision they feel to be in the best interests of the child. As part of this process, Louisiana family law instructs the court to consider several factors, including:

  • Established bonds of love and affection between the party seeking visitation and the child
  • The moral fitness of the party, as it affects the child’s welfare
  • The party’s mental and physical health
  • The reasonable preference of the child, if the child is of sufficient age to express a preference
  • The willingness and ability of the party to encourage a close relationship between the child and the custodial parent

As your advocate, we present all relevant evidence to help the court reach a decision that fulfills your objectives.

Can I prevent my ex from moving away with my child?

One of the most difficult situations for a noncustodial parent is the prospect of the custodial parent moving away and taking the children along. For many, such a move would make it much harder to see their children and maintain a strong relationship. As with other issues, the court decides relocation cases based on the best interests of the child, weighing all relevant factors, including:

  • The extent to which the noncustodial parent is active in the children’s lives as a positive force
  • The burden the move would put on the noncustodial parent’s visitation rights
  • The difference in quality of life for the children
  • The children’s need for stability

A court can block a move that would be detrimental to the children. However, a court can also allow a move if a new custody schedule can be worked out, so the children can continue to share time with each parent.

What can I do if my ex does not allow me to visit my children?

Your visitation order has the force of law behind it. A custodial parent who interferes with visitation can be held in contempt of court. A court could also modify a custody order, giving joint custody to the noncustodial parent to ensure ongoing contact with the children.

Representation for grandparents’ rights disputes

Depending on the circumstances, a child’s grandparents may have enforceable visitation rights, particularly if both parents no longer live with the child. Our firm represents grandparents, as well as the children’s parents, in visitation disputes.

Contact a trustworthy family law attorney in Covington, LA regarding your visitation issue

Conroy Law Firm, APLC represents Louisiana parents in visitation matters. Throughout Jefferson, St. Tammany and Orleans parishes, our family law firm provides knowledgeable guidance from offices in Covington and Metairie. To schedule a consultation, call us at 985-606-3885 or contact us online.